Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mindless Violence



Last Friday night, my friend and I became the victims of mindless violence. A Liverpool youth accosted us, accused us of insulting him and promptly hit us both, hard. Without explanation, indeed, without reason. Causeless, mindless violence.

Over the last few days I have been thinking about our experience. It helped me to imagine a little about how the Lord Jesus must have suffered, as he faced "such contradiction of sinners against himself". They "did not know what they were doing" as they mocked him, battered him and utterly abused him. Was this just mindless violence? In one way - yes - since the perpetrators had no thought about the significance of their actions. However in another way - no - since the victim knew exactly what was coming his way - before as well as during the horrific events of his Passion. He was fully aware of all that "the Father had given him to do" - and fully ready to accomplish it. He never acted mindlessly. He "humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, and that a cross death". Why? He did it for me!

"He was wounded for my disobedience
bruised for my immorality
He took the punishment to bring me peace
And because of his beating, I am healed"

Thank you Lord! Once a victim, now the Victor!

No comments: